Reciprocal Wills

Though they are not that common these days, a so-called reciprocal will or couple's will can be considered valid under Texas law. However, they are not appropriate for every couple. Before creating a reciprocal will, you should speak with an estate planning attorney.

The Experience and Knowledge You Need

At Hayes & Wilson, PLLC, we have decades of experience helping people make wise estate planning decisions. Our Houston reciprocal will lawyers have a comprehensive understanding of Texas estate and probate law and how to craft documents that enable our clients to achieve their goals. In a consultation, a lawyer can review your situation and explain how we can help you.

What Is a Reciprocal Will?

With a reciprocal will, a person simply specifies that he or she wishes to leave all property to the other spouse. In reality, there is not one reciprocal will, but two wills that are mirror-images of each other. A reciprocal will may be suitable for some childless couples, but even in this situation there can be circumstances in which a reciprocal will is not appropriate. People who have children from prior marriages should probably not consider making a reciprocal will.

Rather than downloading a will form and creating two identical wills, a couple is much better served by working with an estate planning attorney.

How We Can Help

At our law firm, we provide customized estate planning solutions. When you come to our office to discuss your situation, you will meet a team of compassionate and experienced legal professionals. We will listen closely as you describe your family, your financial situation and your long-term goals. Your lawyer will then draft a will designed to help you achieve your goals. You will have confidence, knowing that you have done the best you could for your family.

Hayes & Wilson, PLLC, drafts wills and creates other estate documents for reasonable, flat fees.

Contact a Harris County Joint Will Lawyer

To schedule a consultation about drafting a will or another estate planning matter, contact Hayes & Wilson, PLLC.